Monday 1 May 2017

OUGD404 - Studio Brief 2 - Poster Design

OUGD404

Studio Brief 2


Poster Design 

The specification for this poster is that it must fold down from A1 to A4


When folded the front facing A4 is rotated compared to the unfolded A1 Sheet. This is something I will have to consider when designing.

I have chosen to design a poster for the Natural History Museum.

I decided to create origami dinosaurs for the background of the poster to advertise the museums dinosaur exhibit.

I made 3 different dinosaurs 





I then started to consider composition.


I experimented  with landscape and portrait and different compositions but struggled to create a composition which included the A4 rectangle at the bottom right of the poster. I also struggled to create something visually appealing with the photos I had taken. To combat this I put my photos into illustrator and drew around them using the pen tool. This created a flat image of the origami.
I repeated the illustrations to create a pattern.



The design follows a simple horizontal grid with the dinosaurs walking in line. This design also works when it folds down to A4 as it just shows the pattern. The large Natural History Museum, which also has a white outline brings the design together and making the connection with the basic illustrations and the dinosaur exhibit clear.

I developed this by adding colour. 







The colour scheme comes from a collection of insects on display at the museum. The colours are vibrant and will draw the attention of passers by. I altered the fill of the box surrounding the logo, making it slightly paler for a greater contrast. The one colour design is simple but works well with this design as the poster is saturated with the simplified origami illustrations. In the bottom right corner, where the poster would fold down to A4, reads '65 million years in the making. Kensington Road, London'. This short phrases hints at the fact the poster is for the natural history museum without having to show the Natural History Museums logo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment