Thursday 10 November 2016

OUGD403 - Typeface Development



Idea Development


I chose to develop that involved removing the counters in the letters to make a bolder and blockier type. Inspired by the style of Morag Myerscough I wanted to create a 3D typeface. I also tried to remove as much of the apertures in each letter as I could whilst keeping them legible. After experimenting with physical 3D letters I made out of paper I brought this idea into illustrator. To create the shadow of the letter I used a darker colour and used a lighter colour for the face of the letter. This gave the type perspective.




This also allowed me to add colour to the design.

I took this further by creating patterns to go within the letters themselves. I created several different designs mostly based on geometric shapes. I used colours that clashed using the knowledge I gained from researching the colour theory. Some patterns are denser than others. The denser patterns where used as the back shadow of the letters.

I created type specimens for the typeface I had created. I created 2 in colour and one in only black and white. I also included the typeface in a two colour setting (without patterns) to show the diversity of the font.

          




Finally, I wanted to incorporate my type in context of its intended use as specified in the rationale. I have created a magazine cover only using LOUD as the typeface. Although the typeface is only intended for title text I think It works well in this context.





No comments:

Post a Comment