Tuesday 18 October 2016

OUGD403 - Studio Brief 01 - Logotype Crit 1



Logo Type Crit 1

My initial idea for my word 'Disanchor' was a high end cruise company aimed at older couples.

Firstly, I looked at existing company's in the market and choose the most appropriate typeface. From my research I found that Serif fonts were most common. They also have loose kerning. They are ornamental and have a high contrast between think and thin stroke weights. They also have a lot of white space and large counters. 
I think for this style of logo I have to use a serif type. I am immediately drawn to Bodoni as it is so strongly associated with high end fashion and my target audience would be familiar with this. However, this may be too obvious. I also think Century would be appropriate as it frames the letters with a lot of white space. I think century would also work well if the logo was to be printed in very large type on the side of a ship due to its characteristic of being very easy to read, this would be important if used on the side of a ship as potential customers would have to read and recognise the logo from a far distance.


Experimenting with white space.





Current type is clean and straight to the point. It is elegant and doesn’t carry and gimmicks.

This suits the demographic of high end and luxury cruises, which are aimed at older people, especially retired couples. The personality of the type is a bit hard and unapproachable, I will make some changes to combat this without taking away from the clean, classic look of the current logo.

Crit
My crit gave me negative feedback. Some felt that the word disanchor felt unsafe so was inappropriate for a cruise ship company. It was also agreed that a tighter kerning would be beneficial as it would make it seem more stable and that the typeface I had picked was too dated looking and gave a ‘pirate ship’ feel. 
From the feedback I have received from my crit I am changing the branding for my word. I am now going to explore the possibilities of ‘Disanchor’ being an estate agents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment