Friday 10 February 2017

OUGD405 - Overall Module Evaluation


OUGD405

Overall Module Evaluation

Design Process

This module introduced more conceptual approaches to research and problem solving. This improved my research as it gave a broader depth and breadth of information. The approach to research in studio brief 2, study task 4, was very different to anything I have done before. I found it difficult to produce and develop such conceptual ideas, especially when it came to tasks that involved representing the object using a text editing software. These tasks were helpful as it is a new way of looking at a brief. I interoperated the brief differently because of the tasks. However, my final designs didn’t take any influence from the more abstract tasks, making it difficult to see their benefit to this brief. On the other hand, it encourages a more creative process and may be helpful in future briefs.

My Photoshop and illustrator skills are improving with every brief. This module has developed my InDesign and Illustrator skills very quickly as my designs relied heavily on production in illustrator. Both briefs have outcomes which include a publication. This has improved my InDesign abilities. I also used a DLSR camera and flash lighting in a studio to photograph some elements of my wayfinding system. The outcome of these images could be improved, but this is something I aim to improve upon in upcoming briefs. For future briefs, I would like to improve my skills in Photoshop to make mock ups more realistic.

Study Brief 2 was open ended. I found this difficult as I prefer a more structured brief with a set outcome. If another open-ended project was to be briefed in the future I would set a clearer and more structured rationale early in the development to keep it structured.


Overall, I think my digital work and approaches to briefs are improving and becoming more experimental, which is creating more interesting work. In this module, I have conducted much more research than I have in the past which has improved my outcome by strengthening its foundation. I will continue to develop my research methods and introduce more conceptual approaches in future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment