Sunday 22 April 2018

OUGD505 - Overall Module Evaluation


OUGD505 



Overall Module Evaluation


This module was heavily research based in all areas. Practice, technical and conceptual research was conducted to gain expert knowledge on relevant subjects. This created work that is relevant and well considered. Both briefs in the module allowed for personal interests to be explored and independent solutions to be executed.
Studio brief one was very open. The genre chosen was punk. I am happy with the result, I think it carries a strong message and hope It will gain some sort of reaction. The idea behind it was based on the protest mentality as I feel people my age often complain about the state of things but actively do very little about it. I found researching the punk genre to be interesting and found that Punk is more about politics and youth culture than the music itself. I think my research skills are improving as I am using more varied source like documentaries and podcasts rather than just website articles.
The outcome is a set of two posters. It is an appropriate response. However, the brief asked for an object to be produced and I think if I allowed more time for development the outcome could have developed to be something more substantial and ambitious, not simply print based. If I was to do this brief again I would have chosen a genre I knew nothing about, purely for my own awareness.
Studio brief two required outputs that related to social, political and ethical change. The research for this brief was in-depth. It included the examination of existing ethically motivated design campaigns as well as primary and secondary research, specific to the chosen cause. This brief allowed me to explore something I was passion about and get first hand understand how the same issue affected other people through primary research. Presenting findings in front of a group has helped improve my public speaking as well as giving much needed experience of how to present data in a visually interesting way. I think I applied my research to create an interesting an original product that would be successful in creating change. The range created was consistent and wide distribution is achievable. I do think there is still room to push this brief further and create a presence online. I will continue to work on this brief after submission to create a design guideline booklet that I will include in my portfolio.
Overall I think my outputs for this module are not equal in result. My final output for studio brief two is much more substantial both in design and development than my output for studio brief one. I feel that both briefs would have benefited from more peer led feedback from outside of my friendship group, even if its self-initiated. Time management could have been improved, especially in relation to studio brief one. In the future, I will plan my time more effectively, breaking it down by brief, rather than module.




No comments:

Post a Comment