Tuesday 7 May 2019

OUGD603 - End of Module Evaluation



OUGD603 – Extended Practice Module Evaluation


At the beginning of this year, I wrote a statement of intent which discussed my ambition to create a strong and varied portfolio through answering relevant briefs. My aim was to develop my illustration and branding while gaining more of an understanding of typography and animation. I also wanted to experiment with film making and photography.

All the briefs that I have completed help to fulfil these aims. I worked on my illustrative skills through creating potters for Shake ‘n’ Vac, digitally drawing the penguin book cover and created a set of three illustrations for John Lewis’ Loved and Found collection. My branding repertoire grew as I complete the End of Year show and created the collision app. I developed my understanding of typography when creating Abbie Howard’s album covers. My animation skills have improved considerably as I am now comfortable using After Effects and have animated all 26 letters of the alphabet in response to the John Lewis D&AD brief. Finally, I was given the opportunity to create a short film for the 60-second documentary brief, which gave me a crash course in film making and production. Throughout this module, I have made a concerted effort to improve the documentation of my work. This was the aim when revisiting the Star Pack Tea packaging brief where I aimed to produce a well-documented outcome of a professional standard.
Throughout this module time management has been crucial. I tried to stick to a structured timetable but it soon became clear that it had to be fluid. There had to be set deadlines to complete all ten briefs but there also had to be room for change and new opportunities. This was a challenge when working independently, although after the first few briefs I was confident in my ability to stick to self-assigned deadlines. This skill was important when working with clients and responding to live briefs, where deadlines are strict.
Several briefs involved working as part of a team. I found it easier to work as part of a larger team, like when working on the End of Year Show brief. I felt with a bigger team, members where more open to other people’s ideas and more likely to give constructive criticism. Whereas when working with a single person, especially when the other person is not a designer (Abbie Howard, Creative Advertising), it is difficult to receive helpful feedback. This may be because they work in different ways or struggle to articulate what they want from me as a designer.
I feel like this year I have really improved the standard of my documentation. I think this is particularly evident in my Star Pack Tea Packaging outcome as I can compare last year’s outcome to this years. It has shown me the importance of investing time into the production of outcomes and how important lighting and strong photography skills are. I also think I have improved my digital presentation skills. For example, I have created a walkthrough for the app, Collison, which I feel could compete against work created by professionals.
My work has been well received. I now have artwork live on Spotify and I am waiting for my work to be displayed in John Lewis stores as part of the Loved and Found brief. Unfortunately, my Penguin Student Award entry was not shortlisted and our team did not win the End of Year Show branding brief. I am pleased with my outcomes and I feel like they make for a well-rounded and multi-skilled portfolio.

No comments:

Post a Comment