Friday 13 January 2017

OUGD405 - Wayfinding - Harry Beck's Tube Map


OUGD405

Harry Beck’s Tube Map.

For my wayfinding system, I wanted to create a map in the style of the London Underground as my wayfinding system is based around the hidden spaces under the streets of Leeds. In order to create a well-informed interpretation, I conducted some research on the designer of the tube map.

The map was designed by Harry Beck in 1933. Instead of emphasising distance or geographical accuracy, Beck based his design on circuit diagrams which allowed the complicated rail network to be stripped down into a neat diagram. It was considered a very radical approach at first but the public responded well to the design. It allowed passengers to know how to get from one station to another as efficiently as possible and where to change lines.


My map will be efficient but use a colour scheme that is appropriate to my overall design.





I have applied Harry Beck's design to my system


My design only uses horizontal and vertical lines to direct the user. The background shows the main motorway that runs through Leeds to give a perspective of the area that the map covers. I have also includes hexagons, the smaller the hexagon the closer the user is to the city centre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment