Friday 13 January 2017

OUGD405 - Way finding Interim Crit


OUGD405


Interim Crit

For this crit I presented what I am currently working on. 
I explained my idea of an underground way finding system that satisfied the curiosity of what layed under the streets of Leeds. I showed the placements of the areas where the underground spaces are and told the group that I wanted the system to have an uneasy and gritty feel about it to represent the feeling a war bunker would have and show the connotations of being underground such as the dark and being buried. 
My idea is to have all of the symbols and pictograms on the floor. The pictograms will be stencils and spray painted onto the ground. I will also create a map for the system that has the same aesthetic. I also would like this to be accompanied by the blue prints of the spaces, either in a book form or sprayed real size onto the ground to give the audience a sense of scale.

This is some of the work I showed in the crit. Most she my pictogram development work.









The feedback I received suggested I should look at using more threatening shapes in my designs such as triangles or symmetrical shapes. I should also investigate man hole covers and the details on them. It was suggested that it would be interesting to see the pictograms lit up on the ground, I thought back lighting or glow in the dark vinyl. The pictograms should come with a map to show the trail, I would be interesting to do the map in the style of the London Underground as it links well. Creating arrows for the system would also help the audience and allow the system to become more accessible.
I will now apply the feedback I have received to my work. 

Response:
In response to this crit I have made changes and added aspects to my wayfinding system. 

I changed my pictograms to be in triangles to be more threatening to match the aesthetic of the system. Triangles are also more attention grabbing, this is important as the sign system will be on the ground and therefore more difficult to spot.


I created a map to compliment the pictograms. I have created it in the style of Harry Beck's London Underground map. I have only used vertical and horizontal lines to create the map to add a twist. I have numbered each stop on the map, each number will coincide with a page in a booklet which I will produce to provide extra information to the user. 



I created arrows to go with the way finding system to direct users, these will also be sprayed onto the ground.




No comments:

Post a Comment