Tuesday 13 December 2016

OUGD404 - Evaluation of Leaflet


OUGD404

Evaluation of Leaflet

Evaluation of the leaflet I created in response to Studio Brief 01 – How Do You Read?

For this submission I created two small printed leaflets, one titled How Do You Read? And another titled International Klein Blue. How Do You Read included:
·      Information on Josef Albers, his background, education and contribution to colour theory. ­
·      A photograph of Leeds with colour swatches and an evaluation of these swatches.
·      Colour theory research
·      Words on RGB Vs GMYK
·      Information on Pantone
·      An explanation of the use of colour within graphic design
·      Research on Tint and Shade
·      Information about Hue, Saturation and Value.

International Klein Blue included:
·      What Klein Blue is
·      Information on Yves Klein
·      Examples of Klein Blue within graphic design

For my leaflet I chose quite a complicated and challenging method of folding. The final design was inspired by the work of Roger Chi-Huan Chuang. The Intricate folding created a modular grid system on the page. I used this to my advantage and laid each leaflet out using this grid system. It gave the leaflet a good flow and allowed information to be separate. The typeface I chose for the body text in my leaflet was future and I used Garamond for the title text. I chose these two typefaces as they work well together and they are legible even at very small sizes. I considered using a serif text for the body text as the serifs make each letter more individualised and therefore more legible, however I think the sans-serif typeface works with the composition and design of the leaflet more successfully. For the leaflet ‘How Do You Read?’ I set the type in the dark blue from the swatches as the colours in this leaflet are organic and natural and the use of black for the type would be too harsh in contrast. I chose different stock to print my leaflets onto. I chose a light brown card to print ‘How Do We Read?’ on to as it gave an organic and rustic feel which suited the colour scheme of the leaflet. For the International Klein Blue leaflet, I used a white textured stock as I wanted the Klein Blue to pop of the page and the best way to do this was to use a crisp white paper.

Upon reflection there are a few things I would change about the leaflets I produced. First, I would make them larger in size. I used a square of 15cm by 15cm to create the leaflets. This works well for the Klein Blue leaflet as it contains less information. The same dimensions where used for the ‘How Do We Read?’ leaflet, which contains much more information. The design of the leaflet meant I had to rigidly stick to the grid system, the only way to resolve this was to use a smaller text. In the final printed product, I feel the type is too small and quite difficult to read. I would also change the stock I used. In both leaflets the folds are messy and the ink has cracked. I think this is because the stock I used was too thick and therefore more difficult to fold. In my experiments with folding before I printed my final piece the thicker paper held its shape better and this is what led me to choose these particular stocks. However, I did not consider how the paper would affect the ink once it had been folded. I would also change the paper I printed the ‘How Do You Read?’ as the colour of the paper effected the colours that were printed, making them dull. Another thing I would change is the guttering in the grid system I have used, It needs to be bigger to balance with the margins. 





 









No comments:

Post a Comment